Post Office House was built in 1893 and is a Grade II Listed building. It was a working post office with sorting facilities, telephone exchange and postmaster’s family residence until 2014. We have retained all original characteristics relating to the building͛’s former role including the distinctive gold and black wrought iron post horn sign and original wooden internal cupboard which housed the mail from the former outside wall letter box (now part of our private living accommodation).
The following access statement is a summary of services provided at Post Office House. Please contact us if you have any specific enquiries and we will assist you where we can.
- We can be contacted by telephone, email and also have a direct on-line booking system.
- Post Office House is situated on the main road which runs through the centre of Belford village. It has direct access from the A1 in both directions.
- There is a main bus route between Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Morpeth, Berwick-upon-Tweed and Alnwick (X15) which runs alongside Post Office House, with bus stops within 30 metres of our property. There is also a local bus service to Seahouses and Bamburgh (X18)
- Railway stations are at Berwick-upon-Tweed (14 miles north) and Alnmouth (18 miles south).
- Local taxi service, Croft Taxis are available in the village.
- We regret we are unable to accommodate pets.
- We are adult only and do not accept under 18 years, divers, stag/hen/wedding or similar groups.
- We cannot accommodate wheelchairs.
Arrival and Car Parking
- There is limited parking at the rear of Post Office House. Access is via the driveway to the left hand side of the main house. The access driveway and car park have motion sensor lighting. All vehicles must enter and leave the establishment in a forward gear, to meet with Highway Regulations. There is sufficient room to turn vehicles round in the courtyard.
- Parking in our private car park is at your own risk. We cannot accept any liability for any damage to your vehicle or other guests’ vehicles.
- Car parking is also available on the street outside Post Office House and public parking off-road for 5 cars is available 35 metres from the establishment. Assistance is available if required.
- Access to Port Office House is via the rear guest door at the back of the property.
- A secure and lockable outhouse is available for cyclists and there is off-road private parking for motorcyclists.
- There is a small raised threshold on entrance to the driveway into the car park to eliminate gravel `drag’ onto the public highway. The driveway is gravelled and flat without any gradients. We ask that guests are careful when driving out of Post Office House onto the road as there is a public footpath that is adjacent to the property.
- Assistance with luggage is offered if required
Outside and Garden
Access to the garden is via the left side of the garage. There are four uneven steps leading to an uneven paved area and small grassed area. The garden is unsuitable for wheelchairs. There is a wooden picnic table/seats available for guest use.
- The main entrance is at the rear door at the back of the property with access straight to the bottom of the stairs (not suitable for wheelchairs).
- A door knocker is located on the guest door and the door opens left outwards. Guests are given keys to this door as well as their room key.
- There is a tortoise novelty bell on the chest of drawers to the left of the fireplace in the Dining Room to call for assistance.
- The bottom floor area is tiled and has an outward opening rear door for guests to access the rear of Post Office House, car park and the garden. A key is provided for guests.
- Emergency `forgotten’ supplies such as dental and shaving kits which are located in the bottom drawer in the small chest of drawers, located in the Dining Room.
- The dining room is accessed from the bottom of the stairs, through a door and is used for breakfast between the hours of 8.00 am and 9.30 am (half hourly slots to choose from and earlier times by prior arrangement).
- The floor is laid with quarry tiling and during the colder months a wood burning stove may be lit which has very hot surfaces.
- Breakfast menu forms are provided for guests in order to make their choice of breakfast and time the night before. All breakfasts are freshly cooked-to-order.
- Completed forms should be left in the plastic holder, located at the bottom of the stairs.
- Guests with special dietary requirements or allergies are asked to inform us in advance and we will do everything we can to accommodate these.
- Breakfast is served at one large table, which can seat six people (Due to Covid-19, there are currently two separate tables, 1.5 metres apart which meets Government legislation for hospitality)
Stairs and Landing
- Berwick Room is located on the ground floor, opposite the Dining Room. This room is ideal for limited mobility but not wheelchairs.
- Stairs lead to the first floor guest bedrooms and owners͛ private accommodation
- There are 12 steps, with a banister on the right hand side, which lead up to a 90° turn with a further 8 steps, two of which are narrow.
- Owner͛s bedroom and private bathroom are also located on the first floor.
- The stairs and landing is carpeted and emergency lighting situated on first floor landing which automatically operates in the event of a power cut.
- There is a mini-fridge on the landing for guests staying in Coquet.
- Free WiFi is available and the access code is in each room, located in the guest information folder.
- Guest rooms are equipped with hand-held emergency lights/torches. Instructions for use in the event of power cuts are located in the guest information folders.
- We have two hard-wired smoke detectors, one on the landing and one at the bottom of the stairs. There is a radio linked one in the dining room.
- There is an emergency light at the top of the stairs should there be a power cut.
- All bedrooms have a Nespresso coffee machine, a 32-inch Smart wall-mounted television with Freeview with a remote control, chairs, a cordless kettle, complimentary tea/coffee/hot chocolate/herbal teas and biscuits
- Coquet and Longstone lead off the first floor landing which are carpeted as are all guest rooms
- All guest rooms are en-suite with a shower and toilet
- Coquet Room has a king size bed and lower opening sash window and has a carpeted step up into the en-suite.
- Longstone Room is a large twin bedded room with a small wardrobe and two large sash windows, lower opening, (left one opens from the top).
- Berwick Room is a double room (4ft x 6 ft standard double bed), under stairs cupboard, carpeted bedroom area and one large sash window (lower sash opens only) with original wooden shutters which can be closed.
- There are hairdryers and heat mats (for hair straighteners/tongs) in all guest rooms as well as shoe shine sponge and clothes brush.
- Laundry and drying facilities are available on request for a small charge.
- Evacuation procedure in the event of a fire: the escape route is via the rear door and windows. The assembly point is across the main road at the market cross in the village centre.
- We have been checked by the local authority for fire safety and public safety.
Assist dogs only are welcome at Post Office House. Dogs are not to be left alone in the bedrooms. Dogs can be walked and use a grassed area across the road from Post Office House. Water bowls are available on request. We are sorry but assist dogs are not allowed access to the rear garden.
- Mobile phone networks are usually available but a better signal is reached closer to a window or outside the house.
- Post Office House Bed and Breakfast has a strict no-smoking policy within the building. If guests need to smoke, then this is permitted in the garden where an ashtray is provided.
- Local taxi number: Croft Cabs – 07803 496278
We welcome any feedback you may have, to help us continually improve our services. If you have any comments, please contact us on 01668 219622 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Post Office House Bed and Breakfast 2021